If you have Solar PV Panels fitted on your roof then you will be eligible for the Governments Feed-in-Tariff (FIT) and will be paid for the electricity you generate, even if you use it yourself and for any surplus electricity you export to the grid.
You will also save money on your electricity bill, because you'll be using your own electricity.
Your energy supplier will make the FIT payments to you. The large energy suppliers are required by law to provide them, smaller suppliers are not, but many have opted to offer them anyway.
For you to qualify for the FITs, the installer and the products fitted must both be certified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS). The tariffs you receive depend on both the eligibility date and your property's Energy performance Certificate (EPC) rating.
How you will Benefit
- Generation tariff: your energy supplier will pay you a set rate for each unit (or kWh) of electricity you generate (this is currently 14.38p for a system up to 4kW). Once your system has been registered, the tariff levels are guaranteed for the period of the tariff (up to 20 years) and are index-linked.
- Export tariff: you will get a further 4.77p/kWh from your energy supplier for each unit you export back to the grid. This is estimated at 50% of the electricity you generate.
- Energy bill savings: you will be making savings on your electricity bills as you will not have to buy as much electricity from your energy supplier.
Once you are receiving FITs the rate you get will increase in line with inflation in accordance with the Retail Price Index (RPI). Please click on the below link to see the latest tariffs available.
- Your property will need to have an EPC rating of D or above or you will receive the lower rate.
- The export rate is currently 4.77p/kWh.
- The tariff period is now 20 years.
- The tariffs are to be reviewed every 3 months and will be revised according to deployment rates.
How to Register to Receive FITs
Once your Solar PV System has been installed take the below steps to register for FITs:
- The installer must register you on the central MCS database and will send you the certificate confirming MCS compliance.
- You will the need to download the FIT Application Form from your chose supplier and fill it in (We can help you with this).
- Once it is filled in you need to post or email it to your chosen supplier along with a copy of the MCS Certificate, the EPC Certificate and proof of purchase e.g. a copy of your invoice.
- You will then recieve confirmation from the supplier and they will forward instructions to you of when and how to claim your payments.